Who: Perry Baker
Sport: Rugby–he plays for the US National Men’s Rugby 7’s team.
Playing Since: 2012
Previous Sports: Football
Inspirations: Brother and Kobe Bryant
- He has only been playing rugby since 2012. He previously played football and when he was in college, got introduced to rugby. He eventually had to choose which sport to play and eventually decided to go down the rugby route. He says it is a blessing to be an Olympian-to-be and representing the country.
- He preps by practicing, training and staying as focused as possible. He also makes sure his protein intake is a bit higher so that he can maintain his weight and makes sure to take the proper supplements and vitamins.
- He also does training camps and tournaments with his team to keep up his training and competitiveness.
- He is excited to travel while he does the tournaments and is especially looking forward to seeing Paris.
- Team USA is currently in Australia the middle of the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series. They are in 6th spot out of teams in the 10-stop series. Next match is in Sydney, Australia this coming weekend and after that they make their only US stop, in Las Vegas March 4-6. Those matches in Las Vegas will be televised on NBC
- He loves to line dance.
- Duck Dynasty is one of his favorite shows. He admits that he also has so much memorabilia from the show. He also enjoys ESPN’s First Take, but says he is normally in training when it is on.
- His favorite football team is the Philadelphia Eagles. He was a free agent for them and also a huge TO and DeShawn Johnson fan.
- He also likes the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Thank you to Perry and keep checking back for more rugby news!