Strong is NBC’s newest hit reality show that has women teamed with world renowned personal trainers that help them become the best they can be. To celebrate the success of this show, I recently talked to producer Dave Broome. Below are some of the highlights from our chat.
1. Dave noticed that over the years, women have changed in terms of fitness. He has seen them go from a size zero and model like to competing in events such as mud runners and crossfit. He decided he wanted to help make women the best they can be and take on the world, which led to Strong being born. He thinks that shows like this can help make women become the best they can be.
2. The biggest challenge about creating the show was the set design. He knew how he wanted things to be and look for the challenges, but says it was very difficult to pull it off and make it the way it is shown on TV. However, he is happy with the way things turned out and says they are going the way he has envisioned.
3. Dave chose trainers from different walks of life to be on Strong with the contestants. The reason he did this was because he wanted America to know that there is not one way to train or learn how to become STRONG. He knows that everyone learns differently and that there are different methods to get to the end result. He also loves that each trainer had a different story, but they all know how to turn obstacles into powers and that they can empower and strengthen their partners—and America.
4. If you have been watching this season of Strong, you may have noticed the contestants are all women. There is a reason for that, Dave revealed. He says that he did it because he wanted to have a level paying field instead of mixing up the sexes. He thinks women have certain advantages over men and vice versa and to pin them up against each other would be unfair.
He adds that he wanted a cast who is relatable, but had their own story to tell. He says that everyone had something different to tell, (some are moms, struggling to find who they are) but they are all about becoming the best versions of themselves. At the end of the day, everyone inspired each other on the show and it played off better than they imagined. Each contestant represents everyone in the country and those watching can find something within each one that they can relate to.
5. So how does Sylvester Stallone fit into all this? Dave reveals that he and Sylvester have been friends for awhile and eventually got to talking about Dave’s idea for the show. Sly loved the idea and took to it because he is very into fitness and always said that had he not gone into acting, he would have become a trainer. Dave adds that Sly created the most iconic underdog character with Rocky and showed him overcoming the impossible….which is exactly what the women of Strong are trying to do.
Thank you Dave and keep watching Strong on Thursday nights on NBC!Football In High Heels on Social Media