Falling asleep can be challenging for some, that’s why experts suggest finding the right scent to soothe your mind and improve your sleep quality.
Researchers at the University of Maryland found scientific evidence to suggest that aromatherapy with lavender may slow the activity of the nervous system, improve sleep quality, promote relaxation, and lift the mood in people suffering from sleep disorders.
The popular alarm clock app, Sleep Cycle, has shared top scents to help you get a better night’s rest:
- Coffee: According to researchers at UCLA, it can have a calming effect.
- Rose: In the right dose, the smell of roses can actually lower blood pressure and the number of breaths you take per minute, which makes falling asleep easier.
- Lavender: A classic, well-known as a soothing scent, lavender has been proven to lower anxiety, stress levels, pain and more by reducing your heart rate.
- Geranium: This aroma has a relaxing effect on the mood and is often named as a natural antidepressant.
- Clary sage: A study found clary sage had antidepressant effects for menopausal women and is found to be more calming than normal sage.
- Jasmine: Another bedtime classic, you may recognize this scent from your cup of tea. Jasmine has a rather sweet scent that studies have linked to reduced anxiety levels and higher sleep quality.
Feel free to include this information in any story you may be writing. Let me know if you have any questions or would like additional data on sleep trends!