Psychotherapist Dr. Kathryn Smerling recently discussed how to deal with life and feelings during these trying times.
. “It can be very hard to see the good in things right now and loneliness can be crippling. But we have to choose to be happy.”
Her suggestions on how to stay upbeat?
- Find joy in the internet. Make positive use of the internet for depression. There are many possibilities for group chats on the internet, so social isolation doesn’t have to mean isolation from people. Watch a funny youtube video or movie.
- Connect with Nature. Take a walk.
- Often the best antidote for depression is helping someone less fortunate than you are. Volunteer to bring food to an elderly person. Bake cookies and drop them off at a shelter. There are community organizations to see if you can volunteer there.
- Set up small goals for yourself and reward yourself when you accomplish them. Small goals might be cleaning your bathroom, calling someone you haven’t spoken with in a year, baking a new recipe. Then give yourself a reward, you deserve it.
- Make a daily gratitude list. Anything can be on it, small things that you are thankful for.
- Remember that this too shall pass. That this state of mind will pass.